July 8, 2010

A Letter To My Friend, Mario Zapata, Jr.

Dear Mario,

I'm still in quite a bit of shock. I went to visit you on Tuesday. I saw you lying there. I was there yesterday when we buried you. Even through all that, it's still hard to believe. What happened was so out of the ordinary and completely unexpected. I don't know all the details, I wasn't there. Only those who were there with you that day know what happened. But when I got that phone call from my sister, I was in such disbelief - I didn't know what to think. And as the afternoon turned to evening, it was confirmed. We'd lost you.

My family and I all sat at the kitchen table in silence and sadness. I cried a little, but Danny was able to hold it together way better. He began telling us about how you guys met and became friends. He started to name some of the great qualities you possessed. The rest of the evening was spent reminiscing about all the great memories we had of you. Mario, we grew up together - throughout elementary to high school, in band and mariachi. You always had a smile on your face, no matter how your day was going or how you were feeling. You were always so optimistic about everything. You were a great listener and an extremely loyal friend. You never did harm to anyone and always stood up for your family and friends. You put others needs before your own, as you clearly demonstrated that on Sunday.

You saw CJ panicking in the water, and I'm more than positive that you did not hesitate a second before running in to help him. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out ok. God took you. What you did isn't unheard of. It's something you read about in a book, or watch in a movie. Mario, you did a brave thing, and it isn't going discredited either. All the articles about the accident say the same thing: Man Drowns Trying to Save Friend! Everyone knows what you did, and we couldn't be more proud of you.

It's extremely sad that you're no longer with us today, but we all know you're in a better place, watching over us and waiting - waiting till we all meet again.

Danny said the city should name a library or a school after you, and I think they should!

Your family and friends all love and miss you very much. I know you'll keep a close eye on everybody, especially Javi & Juan and your parents.

I didn't say good-bye to you yesterday, and I'm not going to right now either. Why? Because this wasn't good-bye; We'll be seeing you Mario. Sometime. Eventually. God willing.

Rest in peace my friend.

Your friend,
Jessica Hilton

No comments: