June 10, 2011

Scars - Pt 2

According to webmd:


A ganglion cyst is a tumor or swelling on top of a joint or the covering of a tendon (tissue that connects muscle to bone). It looks like a sac of liquid (cyst). Inside the cyst is a thick, sticky, clear, colorless, jellylike material. Depending on the size, cysts may feel firm or spongy.






I was a sophomore in high school when I first noticed my cyst, mostly because of the pain I was experiencing :( Luckily, it appeared in my left wrist - which isn't my dominant hand - we had medical insurance at the time so I was able to see a Hand Surgeon. At the first consultation he tried to drain the cyst with a syringe.


During the next week, it reappeared.


So back we went to see the hand surgeon. At the next appointment he went ahead and scheduled an outpatient surgery at the beginning of my Christmas break so that I would have some time to heal.


I played the flute in high school, so I was going to need my left hand to be ready to go again at some point, lol.


The operation went well, and for the longest time it looked like I had a little dip in my wrist where the cyst used to be. I'm kinda bummed I don't have a picture of that to show you.


Here is my cool scar:



And guess what?

It came back!!



"Say hello to my little friend"





Do you have any "cool" scars?

4 comments:

jessica said...

Oh wow that looks painful! But I did laugh out loud at "say hello to my little friend"! :p

Are you going to have it removed again?

Jessica Hilton said...

Hahaha, I'm glad I was able to achieve some sort of comedic humor :)

I don't think I'll get it removed this time around, it's bothersome to look at - but it isn't painful... so far.

Anonymous said...

(Blogger is being wonky again, so I don't know if my original comment was published.)

I've heard of those - hope it doesn't become painful.

I have two scars on my back: one the length and width of a pencil from scoliosis surgery and a 2" scar on my right hip where they took a bone graft for it. Crazy!

jessica said...

I left ya something on my blog! :)