June 16, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Now I generally make it a point not to bake anything from a box or a bag. Not because I believe it's evil, or think it's lazy - but because I like to challenge myself to make it from scratch.

I had this little guy hanging out in my pantry for a few months, good thing it's expiration date was not until later this year :)

***Bad picture lighting warning! I don't know why, but my pictures always come out with a yellow-ish tint in them :(

My Aunt had given it to me for Christmas

I think it was maybe last week that Danny mentioned to me that I should clean out our pantry since I'm weird and I like to do things like that. He saw this package and asked me if I was ever going to bake these. He was ready to go right on and throw it away.

I love cream cheese frosting on almost anything so that was the decision maker for me right there, I was going to bake them!

I finally remembered to buy some cream cheese, it was the only thing I didn't have! Shocker! I know. lol.

So away we went!

Here they are fresh out of the oven :) They smelled amazing!

The package said the yield was 12 cupcakes, but being since I'm me - I only have jumbo cupcake pans, haha. So I only ended up with 9

Here they are in their cream cheese frosting awesomeness:


The verdict?

Delicious!! Now I just have to figure out how to replicate the homemade version!

4 comments:

Maura said...

oh my gosh they look so good! now i'm craving cupcakes at 8:30 in the morning! also super impressed you don't bake out of bags or boxes that's all i can do!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love that the red color in red velvet cupcakes actually comes from cocoa.

I don't know that I've ever made a cake from scratch. For some reason, I tend to prefer the box kind.

I am surprised that you didn't have the cream cheese on hand! Ha ha! My friend B always has cream cheese on hand b/c she puts it in all her mashed potatoes!

jessica said...

YUM! Red velvet cupcakes are my faaave! They came out so pretty too! :)

Lyndsay said...

Those look delicious (and pretty, too)!! Cream cheese icing is the best!