May 9, 2011

My Weekend & Conversations with Jack

Friday went down as usual - go to work, go home and cook dinner, get ready to go to JAAS [night club] for "Banda night". My Danny is in this group, they're pretty great and I'm totally not being biased here. Personally, before - I couldn't really care less about this type of music, but hearing it on the speakers from a recording and watching it live is pretty different. I actually kind of like it now, although I am still learning the songs. One of these days I'll get a video recording to share on here.

Saturday, we slept in. And I mean it we slept in! We didn't get up from bed till almost 2 PM. And then we just relocated to the living room and watched tv. What couch potatoes, huh?! Close to 4 PM we took our car to a mechanic to get a radiator flush and while that was going on we went to Target to go buy a present for our nephew Jadon, for his 3rd Birthday! We then returned to the apartment where we continued to bum some more. Danny had 2 gigs lined up with the banda later that night, and then had a series of little gigs lined up with a little group to do "Mother's Day Serenades" throught the wee hours of the morning through Mother's Day. Danny got back from his banda gigs at about 3AM and then we loaded up the car and drove to the mid-valley so he could go off and do the serenades. I got to my dad's house just after 4AM.

Sunday Audrey [younger sister] and I got to see Christina[older sister] and Jack [nephew]! They'd driven down to go see her Grandmother for Mother's Day. Our mom was unavailable for Mother's Day; she's off on some month long road trip with her husband, and she also does not have a cell phone. So we went to breakfast :)



Conversation on the way to Breakfast:
Jack: "Where are we going??"
[Sister's]: "Jose's Cafecito"
Jack: [PAUSE] ... "I don't know Spanish!"


Christina then began to tell us how Jack knows a little bit of Spanish, he just forgets that he knows. One time she'd asked him to bring her something, and she said "Gracias", which means Thank you - and Jack replied "De nada", which means Your Welcome. Basic stuff, yes - but he knows. I remember he was counting 1-10 in Spanish when he was maybe 4 years old, he'd learned in day care. Now he can count to 15, and I told him that was great!

During breakfast:

Jack: [to me] "How old are you?"
Me: "How old do you think I am? - WAIT! Don't answer that!" [I didn't want to hear some outrageous number, lol] "I'm twenty-three"
Jack: [to Audrey] "So you're twenty-...."
Audrey: [interupting Jack] "Twenty-one"
Jack: [to Audrey] "So then you have 2 more years before you have to be married!"

Christina then began to tell Jack that Audrey didn't have to get married if she didn't want to, she was still very young. I was just sitting there laughing my face off, this kid throws me sometimes with the stuff he says!

Jack: "But then she will be single. And a lonely, loner - all alone."

O.o

All this from my 8 + 3/4 year old nephew!


After breakfast we continued talking about words in Spanish, and on the ride back to my dad's Jack wanted to eat a mint he had in the car but Christina told him he could have it later after they ate lunch. Of course he wanted it right then and there, so Audrey then proceeded to tell him that he could eat it - if he could say breakfast in Spanish. [it's "desayuno"]

I helped him as much I could. I told him the first 2 letters were "de", a couple letters in the middle were "ay" and the last two were "no". Of course he never answered, but then some time goes by and he then asks me how to spell "Audrey", so I tell him. And curiously, I looked over to see what he was doing. He was messing around on his iTouch, with his notepad app.

He wrote: "Today Audrey made me say breakfast in Spanish."

Seriously, he blows my mind away sometimes!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would love to see a clip of "Banda night"! It's fun to read about what other people's weekend was like. LOL - Kids say THE funniest things! I love that y'all are teaching him Spanish. It'll be so helpful when he grows up. Jack's a cutie!